Friday, July 30, 2004

Good-bye George...Hello Lytton...

Thank God I'm off my George Bernard Shaw kick.  It was fun, but after a while his music criticism, witty and insightful as it was, began to grate on me.  Music criticism is, I believe, a mean profession.  You are judging someone far braver than yourself from the safety of the plush velvet audience seat of the concert hall.   A music critic can pan a performance and perhaps be describing accurately.  But the performer can always say back to the critic in the manner of Winston Churchill  "Yes, I performed badly.  Tomorrow I will perform better and you will still be a music critic."

So -- Good-bye George...Hello Lytton...

Lytton Strachey that is.  Last night I picked up Portraits in Miniature.  Why this affection  (literary affection that is !) for Lytton.  I'll try to figure that out soon ...but now the rain has stopped...its time to put 16 miles on the bike.  The Sad Story Of Dr. Colbatch and  Muggleton will have to wait.  The open road calls!





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This piece of writing provides clear idea in favor of the new users of blogging,
that actually how to do blogging and site-building.

Feel free to visit my webpage: wieght loss

10:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home